Nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion.
-George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

In a moment


     It only takes a moment in time for everything in one’s life to change.  

     It only took a moment for me to say, “I will” to my best friend’s proposal, and “I do” in committing to walk by the man of my dreams in all my years to come.  It was a single moment that we decided together to change our lives by traveling and volunteering “for a year”; and, that single decision led to our return to Cambodia.  

     It was through our returning here that we have truly begun to feel our hearts bleed and burn for the children here.  We have begun to long and yearn for deeper relationships in order to have a deeper impact.  And we have started to fall in love with the Khmer culture.

     While living in Haiti, I felt like I was being prepared for Asia, and living long term in an orphanage.  Although we had plans to come to Rescue already, my own ideas of what long term plans in Asia looked like were very different from what our hearts are now telling us.  I had visions of starting our own little orphanage, with a Japanese style garden.  LOL!  Really?

     Since we first came to Rescue, Marie has really shaken our mindset on missions.  From the moment we first set out in August of 2011 until this point in time, our view of missions has changed so much.  In this moment I feel, if it’s not broken, why not use it?  In this case, Rescue is far from broken.  It is a gem, an original design made by God to impact the lives of so many children for the better.  We have been won over by the foundation of Rescue, by Marie, and most importantly, by all the children here.  It is amazing to compare their past life stories to who they are today.  Many people, myself included, couldn’t even fathom what most of these children have lived through at such a young age; yet, it is through this adversity that they have grown, or are growing, into incredibly mature and strong men and woman of God. Living with the youth, especially, has been a great witness and challenge to my own life and walk with God.

     At this time, I can not say with certainty that we know where our immediate future will lead, but I can say we are certainly ready for anything!  We await the next moment of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment