Nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion.
-George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Eastern Production - part 2


To be honest, the problem with our developed world is that almost everything available for us to purchase is available by the means of importation.  I think it was would merely impossible not to buy from the person who is making less than what they need to to survive adequately.  
When I talk about the factory workers here in Cambodia, I am sharing my perspective as a person living in Cambodia.  I want people to see what I see, and know the reality of what happens.  How can we change this?  I don't think we can.  In reality, if the wages go up too much, the product owners will leave - there is always a cheaper country somewhere!  The only change can come through the product/factory owners and the government.  Most of all the wrongs and injustices here occur because os the government.  I see so much, but what can you do when you are facing a corrupt giant?

As much as we try to do the right thing, and I think that all of us who live in the developed world want to make the right decisions somehow, it is not up to us.  I have even learned, while being here, that Fair trade is not what you think it is either… and we have all been wanting to buy fair trade products because we think it will help… and maybe it does a little… but there is always a better way… but how can we know?



Here is some information about FAIR TRADE, if you are interested in educating yourself on the matter:

http://threecornercoffee.com/direct-trade-vs-fair-trade/

No comments:

Post a Comment