Nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion.
-George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Christmas in Cambodia


It is December 1st on this side of the world, and the Christmas season should be in full swing on your side of the world by now.  For those who know us, know that Christmas is a favorite for us… by far.  We love decorating, and I allow Jeremy to put his nutcrackers throughout the house :)  This year, for obvious reasons, will be a very different Christmas… no santas, reindeers, bells in the mall, Christmas parties… (and although we will be missing our friends and family this Christmas wholeheartedly), I feel as though I’ve won the lottery being able to spend it with all the children here.


I realized this week, that I have been underestimating the children, and their perception of us, and the way they watch our ways.  They see when we leave for the city, and when we stay to spend time with them on the weekends.  This should seem obvious, but it was only with their small comments here and there that I have realized this.  


The other day, one of the older boys, Thai, brought up Christmas.  He wondered if we would be leaving to spend Christmas at the beach, or in another country.  When I told him we were here to spend it with them, he was both surprised and excited.  The older children, at least, understand what a big occasion Christmas is to westerners, and I am glad we can give our passion for Christmas over to the ones we love here.


Our experience in coming back has been very different from the 1st time we were here.  This time around, we have entered into a world we are familiar with, and a people we already know and love.  It is like we are entering into a family we left behind.  Our once room feels like our home, along with the rest of Rescue’s grounds.  And, although needing some small breaks at times, all I want to do is spend time with my family here, where last time privacy was a luxury for me.


Thank you for all the prayers coming out our way.  Although I enjoyed the children before, and for that reason we are back, I now feel an overflowing love for each of them, and sense of belonging in this one huge family.  


So, when I here “I’ll be home for Christmas….. if only in my dreams…”  I am torn, because I dream of family, snow, and tradition, but I am given an outpouring of love, and isn’t that what Christmas should really be about?  God’s love for us, and our love for others.

1 comment: